Solving puzzles is not just great fun, it can also be very good for you. Here are just 7 benefits of puzzle solving:
1. Improved Memory. Puzzle solving reinforces connections between brain cells, and indeed encourages the generation of new connections. This increases the speed at which you process thought.
2. Improved Visual-Spatial Reasoning. The ability to think in terms of pictures, rather than words, is an important skill and helps with many everyday tasks such as driving a car or packing items away for transportation or storage.
3. Increased IQ. Solving puzzles not only improves your memory and reasoning abilities, but also results in an increased IQ. Indeed, one study by a researcher from the University of Michigan found that spending less than thirty minutes a day solving puzzles increased IQ by four points.
4. Lowers Stress Levels. Although it may sound strange the brain changes from its normal “beta” (wakeful) state to an “alpha” (dream) state when we are solving puzzles. This results in several benefits including and inproved mood and lower level of stress.
5. Increased Educational Opportunities. You are never too old to learn and puzzle solving can help us to learn or develop a range skills in areas such as language, mathematics and research.
6. Increased productivity. As stress levels drop and mood improves, we find it easier to concentrate and this, in turn, means that our productivity levels rise significantly. Many businesses recognize this fact and now provide employees with puzzles in their break rooms.
7. Delay the onset of Demetia and Alzheimer’s. It is vitally important that we keep our minds active throughout life and this is especially important in old age, where it is all too easy to let this slip. Puzzle solving can be an important tool in fighting dementia and alzheimer’s.